Boy, 8, killed by ‘extremely rare’ BRAIN-EATING bacteria that can be picked up by swimming in warm water
An eight-year-old boy from South Carolina passed away this week after contracting an extremely rare brain infection, according to the Department of Health and Environmental Control.
Health officials said the victim, identified on a Facebook page created in his honor as Blake Driggers, of Sumter County, was exposed to a deadly organism called Naegleria fowleri.
‘While this organism is present in many warm water lakes, rivers and streams in the South, infection in humans is extremely rare,’ DHEC Director Catherine Templeton told WBTV. ‘Naegleria fowleri almost always results in death.’
Mexico Earthquake Death Toll Hits over 200
A strong earthquake has struck central Mexico, killing more than 200 people and toppling dozensRead More
North Korea threatens to ‘sink’ Japan,reduce U.S. to ‘ashes and darkness’
A North Korean state agency threatened on Thursday to use nuclear weapons to “sink” JapanRead More