Main Menu

Boy, 8, killed by ‘extremely rare’ BRAIN-EATING bacteria that can be picked up by swimming in warm water

An eight-year-old boy from South Carolina passed away this week after contracting an extremely rare brain infection, according to the Department of Health and Environmental Control.

Health officials said the victim, identified on a Facebook page created in his honor as Blake Driggers, of Sumter County, was exposed to a deadly organism called Naegleria fowleri.

‘While this organism is present in many warm water lakes, rivers and streams in the South, infection in humans is extremely rare,’ DHEC Director Catherine Templeton told WBTV. ‘Naegleria fowleri almost always results in death.’






Leave a Reply