JOB PURPOSE AND KEY DELIVERABLES
To manage the implementation of the BAT’s Records Management programme (RMS) across West Africa Area (WAA) to ensure full alignment to policy and objectives, as well as to keep oversight of all ongoing activities and status of RM across WAA.
To efficiently manage the company secretarial functions for British American Tobacco Iseyin Agronomy and other applicable subsidiaries and affiliates, by establishing an in-house Company Secretarial centre of excellence in line with the global Legal Means Business agenda. To advice the business on company regulatory requirements under the prevailing laws such as the Nigerian Companies and Allied Matters Act 2004.
REGULATION & COMPLIANCE
To support BAT global strategies in the area of Regulation, to monitor and drive compliance of business operations across WAA, with the Group’s Policies and Standards as well as local regulatory requirements.
i. BUSINESS LEADERSHIP
• Provide supervisory oversight for records management across WAA.
• Training and induction on RM principles for employees across WAA
• Archive management system to ensure compliance to regulatory requirements
• Key Control Reports, Audit spot checks and Compliance
• Implementation of the Regional Audit RMP Action points in the Area
• Execute recommended projects from Globe House in WAA, to align the Area with Global BAT Policy
• Achieve / maintain ‘Green’ RM status of markets across WAA; and ensure end market, regional and global objectives are met.
• Provide direction and improve application of best practice on RM across WAA.
• Ensure Hold order documentation, control list and other RM materials are up to date and communicated.
• Execute recommended projects by Globe House in WAA sites towards alignment with Global BAT Policy e.g. archiving systems and databases.
• Provide legal expertise to create a center of excellence for managing company secretarial issues within the company whilst maintaining corporate separateness. Jobholder will monitor Legal priorities for the company secretariat and set compliance procedures for the business, to maintain an internal working environment in which the business understands and meets its legal and statutory obligations.
• Ensure that all filings, documentations are current and boards get the company secretarial requirements efficiently and on time with minimal intervention from Area Head of Legal or Area Regulation and Compliance Counsel
• Manage the resources of the Legal Function (Company plan, Budget, Fixed & Semi Variables) in order to achieve value and cost savings in line with the budgetary provisions and SLA targets.
REGULATION & COMPLIANCE
• Provide strategic legal administrative and advisory support to the Area Regulation and Compliance Counsel, in monitoring the regulatory environment and proactively mitigating legal and regulatory risks. Provide support in the monitoring and evaluation of global company policies; functional policies in line with best practice and local laws and ensuring internal compliance and understanding of all company policies.
• Provide support to the end markets by ensuring all employees understand the legal requirements and standards of the company, drive employee compliance with those requirements and standards and review the application of policies, codes of best conduct and guidelines.
• Facilitate the Company’s compliance with legal and regulatory requirements and coordinate related compliance statements across the Area. To provide legal and regulatory advise to ensure a fair and balanced regulatory environment necessary for the sustainability of the business.
• Proactively identify, detect business threats and take steps in conjunction with management to minimise commercial risk.
• Keep abreast of developments in the law and regulatory environment and to advise functions of possible impact where appropriate.
• Proactively engage and monitor retained regulatory experts as part of legislative early warning system and alert management on prospective changes in legislation and particularly sensible regulation for the tobacco industry.
ii. PEOPLE LEADERSHIP
• Facilitate development of the RM team, by taking full responsibility for the career development and performance management of direct reports, ensuring that records coordinators are sufficient and the best possible mix of talent available.
• Drive coaching and feedback with direct reports, to fit into overall corporate vision and strategy of the company, as well as to create a platform which enables them to improve their leadership capabilities.
• Develop technical and managerial skills as identified and agreed in personal development plan.
• Travel to WAA sites to assist the Legal Counsels and Records Management coordinators in implementing Legal projects and initiatives. Ensure training is provided to existing WAA employees at all levels within the organisation with regards to RMP and introduce RM Induction programme to new recruits.
• Provide direction to Records Management Coordinators for maintenance of training materials, manuals, handbook and retention schedules.
• Update / Develop new material to promote a better understanding of the RMP for all staff within WAA and update the RM material including the RM Manual and Handbook. Ensuring that the Control List and RM procedures are up to date and communicated.
• Ensure WAA Retention Schedules are maintained to ensure compliance to the Group policy on Records Management
• To develop understanding of the overall corporate strategies and ensuring that the company maintains a “licence to operate”
• Manage effective communication within the organization and proactively engage with all internal and external stakeholders.
• Develop and seek full understanding of internal and external stakeholder needs in the implementation of the business objectives and Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives.
• Ensure that the needs of the Corporate & Regulatory Affairs unit are fully understood and addressed.
• Drive initiatives which enhance knowledge sharing on managing current and upcoming legislation, statutory challenges and exert a positive influence on all stakeholders.
• Keep all stakeholders informed on business risks and seek avenues for resolving issues and drive initiatives for continuous improvement.
• Develop good working relationship across the WAA markets with all Coordinators in order to promote records management principles, policies and procedures
• Work very closely with the Records Management Review Team comprising of Legal, Audit and Tax to ensure records are dealt with in accordance with the RM policy guidelines.
• Act as the link between the WAA Area team and the Group Regional Records Manager
• Identify ways of encouraging every internal stakeholder to adopt the “everyone is a Records Manager” attitude and way of working
• Enable and utilise internal processes, platform and networks to ensure the dissemination of knowledge and learning throughout the organisation, to facilitate productivity gains and continuous improvements.
• A University Degree in Law.
• An enrolled Advocate of Courts with a valid practicing certificate.
• At least 4 years demonstrated legal practice with additional skills in marketing, or communications, commercial or corporate experience.
• Good knowledge of local substantive and procedural law
• Ability to work under pressure and prioritize heavy workload.
• Knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes is essential
• The job holder needs to demonstrate the ability to build strong relationships with priority stakeholders, have good interpersonal and communication skills.
• The job holder needs to be able to advise stakeholders and senior management on legal issues; applying strategic and analytical skills. Good written and verbal communications are essential.
• The individual needs to demonstrate the ability to act on his or her own initiative, applying good judgment. He/she also needs well developed influencing and problem solving skills; inspiring trust and confidence.
• The ability to identify problem areas in large volumes of information is essential. Also the ability to summarize intricate problems or transactions is very important in the reporting side of the function.
• Good Strategy, Planning, Training, presentation skills, Basic Computer skills
• Good commercial judgment and ability to understand the Company’s strategic business aims.
• People management skills and Project Management skills
Working at BAT British American Tobacco (www.bat.com) is a market leading, global organisation with a long, established history and a bright and dynamic future. Thanks to our people we have continued to deliver growth and exceed expectations in an increasingly complex and challenging marketplace.
Our aim is to become the leading tobacco company in each of our markets by providing excellent products with confidence and responsibility expected of global consumer brands.
If you have the talent and motivation to help us succeed you’ll find we are equally committed to helping you reach your full potential too.
Employing company British American Tobacco Nigeria (BATN)
DUE DATE: 14-Dec-2012
CLICK LINK TO APPLY
More news in this category
- Vacancy:Halliburton(Advising Engineer – Completion Tools)
- Vacancy:Business Associate Internship(Google)
- Vacancy: Enersense International Oy (Project Scheduler) (Nigeria)
- Vacancy:MTN(Strategic Account Partner)
- Vacancy:GE Oil & Gas (Machinist)
- Vacancy:Graduate Professional assistant at Flour mills of Nigeria Plc
- Vacancy:FMCG Company(Brand Manager)
- Vacancy:Guardian Newspaper Limited(Lawyers)
- Vacancy:InterContinental Hotels Group(Guest Relations Manager)
- Vacancy:PZ Cussons(Production Manager)