Eight South African Police officers were suspended on Friday following the death of a man they bound to a vehicle and dragged through a busy street in a videotaped incident that has tarnished the image/reputation of South Africa Police.
Twenty-Seven year old taxi driver from Mozambique, was found dead in detention with signs of head injuries and internal bleeding, according to reports.
“Commissioner Riah Phiyega told news conference that what is in the video is not how the South African Police Service in a democratic South Africa goes about its work.
Meanwhile, President Jacob Zuma, has condemned the incident which was broadcast nationwide on Thursday.
“The visuals of the incident are horrific, disturbing and unacceptable. No human being should be treated in that manner”, Zuma said of what he called “the tragic death of a man in the hands of the police”.
- Nigerian lady(Naizi Evah) found dead in her hostel room in South Africa
- Mother Clings to Moving Vehicle to Rescue Abducted Daughter in Calabar
- Oyoma Edewor, 33, Allegedly Shot Dead In Cold Blood By The Police In Lagos (Photos)
- Two Nigerians and one isreali with $9.3m cash held in S-Africa
- List of winners MTV Africa Music Awards 2014