As Roman Catholic cardinals prepare to choose the next pope, political-style campaigning for the position is forbidden. So there were a few raised eyebrows in Rome on Friday, when mysterious posters appeared around the city, apparently in support of Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana.
“Vote Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson” was written on the posters alongside an image of the cardinal, who some say could succeed Pope Benedict XVI, whose papacy formally ended on Thursday night.
If chosen, Turkson would be the first non-European to lead the Catholic Church in more than 1,000 years.
GET LATEST UPDATES IN YOUR EMAIL
- Ebola Scare:Nollywood Jim Iyke runs out of Liberia
- 10-Year-Old Boy Who Allegedly Turned Into Cat Arrested In Rivers
- Sexual Harassment:Ex-FRCN staff, Patricia Yakubu slaps former boss,Jim Obazee with N100m lawsuit
- Scores feared dead as Boko Haram bombs Mosque near Emir’s Palace in Yobe
- Jonathan may name new Inspector General of Police today