As Roman Catholic cardinals prepare to choose the next pope, political-style campaigning for the position is forbidden. So there were a few raised eyebrows in Rome on Friday, when mysterious posters appeared around the city, apparently in support of Cardinal Peter Turkson of Ghana.
“Vote Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson” was written on the posters alongside an image of the cardinal, who some say could succeed Pope Benedict XVI, whose papacy formally ended on Thursday night.
If chosen, Turkson would be the first non-European to lead the Catholic Church in more than 1,000 years.
- Pope promises ‘solutions’ to priestly celibacy
- Photo:The woman Pope Francis told it was OK for divorcees to take communion – going against…
- Catholic Church adopts new measure over Ebola
- The Difference Between The Pope & The CAN President?
- Photos: Pope Francis Having Lunch With Vatican Staff At Their Cafeteria