FG concludes plans to cancel UTME and NECO
The Federal Government has concluded plans to scrap the National Examination Council, (NECO) and to cancel the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination(UTME) being conducted by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board(JAMB) for applicants seeking admission into tertiary institutions.
However, JAMB will not be scrapped. These decisions were part of recommendations made by a white paper committee set up by the government on the Oronsaye’s report. Sources revealed that the final decision will be taken on it as President Goodluck Jonathan has been meeting with Vice-President Namadi Sambo and a few top government officials.
Under the new arrangement, the source said in place of UTME, authorities of all tertiary institutions would now be at liberty to conduct their entrance examinations as they had been doing for post-UTME.
JAMB will however serve as a clearing house.
“JAMB will now be a clearing house like Universities and Colleges Admissions Service in the UK. If somebody gains admission into three universities and holds down space, immediately such person picks his first choice, JAMB’s system will automatically free the remaining two slots for other applicants.
“JAMB will no longer conduct examinations but it will be setting the standard alongside the schools authorities,” the source said.
UCAS, which was established in 1993, is the British admission service for students applying to university and college, including post-16 education as of 2012. UCAS is primarily funded by students who pay a fee when they apply and a capitation fee from universities for each student they accept.
On NECO, the source said in arriving at the decision to scrap the examination body, the committee took into cognizance its huge facilities across the country.
But it was resolved that the West African Examination Council would absorb NECO’s members of staff and its facilities.
WAEC will also be empowered to conduct two Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations per year, one in January and the other probably in December.
Hitherto, only one November/December SSCE Examination is being conducted.
The May/June Senior Secondary Certificate Examination being organised by the examination body once in a year still stands.
The government source also said arrangements had been concluded to scrap the Public Complaint Commission, the National Poverty Eradication Programme and the Institute of Peace and Conflict Resolution among others.
Jamb To Announce Cut-off Marks For 2017 Admission On August 21
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has said it will announce the cut-off pointsRead More
Nigerian ‘slay queen’ grabs Law degree from UK university
A Nigerian lady, LUBY who bagged a Law degree from the prestigious University of EsS3@.x:’ inRead More