Nigerian President, Goodluck Jonathan has said that his administration is currently working on generating 30% (1000MW) of electricity in Nigeria with Coal as raw material.
He said this on Monday during a workshop of solid minerals development held inside the banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa. Nigeria has about 44 varieties of minerals in more than 500 locations, seven of which are recognized as strategic minerals owing to their high economic potential. According to him, the coal resource is an avenue for the country to diversify its energy stock.
“It is our intention that 30 per cent of our electricity generation should come from coal using environmentally friendly and clean technology. Nigeria is endowed with abundant coal reserves of the required quality necessary for power generation.”
Jonathan said he welcomed the growing synergy between the ministries of Mines and Steel Development and Power.
A memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on coal to power was signed for the development of the Ezinmo Coal Block in Enugu and a 1,000megawatts coal power generating plant. The MoU was signed between the Ministry of Mines and Steel Development and HTG- pacific Energy Consortium for the development of the Ezinmo Coal Bricks.
GET LATEST UPDATES IN YOUR EMAIL
- I Gave Him All I Had…Yet He Walked Out On Me Without A Single Word- Keturah Explains Relationship With Jim Iyke
- Application for Chevening Scholarships for Developing Countries is Now Open – 2015/2016
- Wearing tight shape wear can cause blood clots and death– Health Experts
- Newborn Baby Found Inside Toilet Pipe After Young Girl Gave Birth And Ran
- Funmi Iyanda talks about the time her T.B Joshua interview tape disappeared