MTN Nigeria/Jumia Entrepreneurship Challenge 2016
2016 MTN Entrepreneurship Challenge powered by Jumia
The Pan-African competition launching today, will be the first of its kind in Africa, bringing together over 1000 entrepreneurs, students and investors, to collaborate on ways to amplify and consolidate the continent’s entrepreneurs. Targeting more than 60 universities in 13 countries across Africa, the competition will challenge students to develop a unique digital application or smart solution that will solve a tangible problem faced on the continent.
“We are incredibly excited to partner with Jumia to launch the entrepreneurship challenge. Africa is a continent of promise, and our aim with the MTN Solution Space has always been to help fulfil this promise by developing uniquely African solutions. We believe that the entrepreneurship challenge is a key element of this. The response and willingness from universities across Africa to collaborate on this initiative has been truly remarkable and certainly exemplifies the impact of collective efforts to foster entrepreneurship among our next generation of business leaders,” says Sarah-Anne Arnold, Manager of the MTN Solution Space.
MTN’s Group Chief Digital Officer, Herman Singh, says the company is proud to both sponsor and endorse the initiative.
“The Entrepreneurship Challenge is strongly aligned to MTN’s own entrepreneurial culture and history as well as our values as a business. We believe inspiration of new business leaders in Africa and their enablement to success, will be key drivers for the future rapid evolution of a broader start-up culture on the continent. This is an environment already teeming with excellent potential and we hope to assist in accelerating its further growth and to raise MTN’s role in creating new businesses in Africa,” says Singh.
“This competition will contribute to building a stronger and more sustainable business environment across Africa. Its main goal is to boost and fuel African entrepreneurship by enabling young and smart entrepreneurs to kick off with their own projects. The key for us is to give full and adapted support to young talents, from funding to mentorship from experienced entrepreneurs,” says Bankole Cardoso, Head of Communications from Jumia.
What are the Evaluation Criteria?
Our review team (encompassing campus captains and selection committee) will be evaluating applications according to four main areas (which are underpinned with more specific criteria). Particularly, participating teams should make sure that their business plans will: fit to African market, be operationally feasible, be innovative and contain relevant financials.
The general assessment scheme can be found below:
- Executive Summary (2pages)
- Financial Statement (proforma, basic information)
- In Line with the Subject
- Need Identification (You must Clearly state a problem, which you are hoping to solve)
- Solution (Well-defined solution as an answer to previously identified problem)
- Monetization (You should illustrate your pathway to monetizing the proposed solution)
- Fit to African Market (external analysis)
- Macro Trends – Environment
- Competitive Landscape
- Operational Feasibility (internal analysis)
- Internal Competencies
- Management Team
- Novelty Aspect (Clear proposition of breakthrough innovation)
- Added Value (Presentation of a clear path to tangible value creation to customers thanks to suggested innovation)
- Societal Impact (strategy and operations aligned for responsible and sustainable business)
- Income Sources (Identification of a way, in which a business is going to generate money)
- Investment Ask (Accurate identification of financial needs & plan of utilizing potential funds)
- Time Management
- Design (Appropriate use of audio & visuals)
Who can Apply?
Teams may be comprised of 2 or 3 individuals with at least one member currently enrolled at in an African university or a recent graduate (Academic year 2014 – 2015 or 2015 – 2016) of an African university.
Prizes and Benefits
- The winner of the MTN Entrepreneurship Challenge powered by Jumia will win a cash prize of US $25 000 towards their start-up, and will also benefit from a yearlong partnership with Jumia, where they will have the opportunity to work from any of JUMIA’s offices across Africa.
- This will enable the winner to learn from, and be mentored by experienced and successful entrepreneurs in the JUMIA network.
- The winner will also have access to a Facebook Start Program to the value of US $15 000, which includes tools and services needed to build mobile applications.
- In addition, they will have the opportunity to work from the MTN Solution Space at the University of Cape Town’s Graduate School of Business. The two runners-up will each receive US $5 000 towards their projects.
Campus presentation Live pitches
1st – 8th April, 2016.
16th April, 2016.
Entrepreneurship Festival and Winners and Runners Up Announced
27th May, 2016.
Application Closing Date
27th March, 2016.
Method of Application
The MTN EC by JUMIA uses the Website application platform to manage applications. To enter, the designated team leader should complete the online enrollment form.
Click here to fill Online Enrollment Form
Note: Application, Executive Summary and Video Pitch (optional, but highly encouraged) must be completed no later than 23:59 pm GMT, Sunday, March 27, 2016.
For more information about the MTN Entrepreneurship Challenge powered by Jumia, visit the following:
- Information on MTN Solution Space: http://www.gsb.uct.ac.za/MTNECbyJumia
- Jumia at www.Jumia.com or visit their Social Media Pages.
- Facebook: facebook.com/uctgsbsolutions
- More information will also be available on Twitter at @uctgsbsolutions and @Africa_IG.
These are where regular updates, articles and interviews will be shared.
SHELL: 2017 Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme
The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) is delighted to announce the seventh annualRead More
The MasterCard Foundation Scholarship (MSU)
About the Program The MasterCard Foundation has partnered with Michigan State University to provide fullRead More